First-rate Green Lodging
The Inn On First was the first northern California bed and breakfast inn to be certified “green” by the State of California. As a proud member of the California Green Lodging Association and the Bay Area Green Business Association, The Inn On First has implemented a number of sustainable actions including the installation of low-flow fixtures for showers, tankless water heaters, energy saving light bulbs and in-room climate control systems. They also replaced individually packaged shower amenities with dispensers, plastic water bottles with stainless steel water bottles, and plastic or paper glassware with reusable glassware. All kitchen and garden waste is composted. The Inn on First also uses a green-certified sheet and towel service, natural cleaning and garden products, 100 percent recycled tissue and snack and food storage bags that are made of home-compostable cellulose wood fiber.
The Inn on First tracks their energy performance using the Energy Star Portfolio Manager program and has a defined guest education program in which they point out some of the features of the inn/room amenities that support their green practices. The cost of sheet replacement has saved approximately $3,000 a year, while using bulk shower amenities saved $300 a year. The best return on their investment has been the satisfaction of the guests who appreciate their sustainable efforts.
The Inn on First is a certified green business located in the heart of the Napa wine country. The Inn on First offers reusable stemware to guests for the duration of their stay.
Green Businesses Practices:
- House-made snacks, reducing unnecessary packaging and shipping
- Low-flow water fixtures and tank-less water heater
- Kitchen waste composting
- Garden composting
- Reusable glassware instead of paper or plastic, as well as stainless steel water bottles replacing plastic water bottles
- In-room recycle bins
- Energy efficient light bulbs
- Pens that are made from recycled wood, rubber and plastic
- Natural cleaning and gardening products
- High-quality 100 percent recycled tissue
- $3,000 saved through their improved sheet-replacement program
- 400 hours a year in employee labor from their revised recycling strategy
- $300 a year from switching to bulk shower amenities
Did you find what you were looking for? Help us improve CoolCalifornia.org by filling out a brief survey!